Legal Guide

Adjust Status After Marriage - What Documents Do I Need?

Adjusting your status after marriage can help you obtain permanent residency status in the United States or a green card. In addition to providing an opportunity to gain lawful status, this process can also help you apply for other forms of relief, such as family-based immigration. Read on to learn how this process works and what documents you need.

Interview with USCIS

If you are married and planning to adjust your status, you must prepare for the USCIS interview. The interview usually lasts about 20 minutes, and you must bring a photo identity document such as your driver's license. Also, you must have proof of your new status, such as a recent pay stub or new employer's letter. A birth certificate and medical examination reports are also required.

At the USCIS office, you will meet a USCIS officer. The officer will take a look at your identification before asking questions. He may ask you to stand or sit and raise your right hand to show your identity. The officer will also ask you to show your current travel documents, as well as your Social Security card or driver's license.

Once you submit your application, you will be scheduled for an interview with the USCIS. In this interview, you will speak with a USCIS Officer to discuss any concerns you have about your application. The officer will also determine whether your marriage is legal.

Fees Involved

If you are planning on Adjust Status After Marriage, it is important that you prepare for the fees involved. There are a number of government fees involved in this process, as well as fees involved in consular processing. You should expect to pay these fees from the very beginning of the process. However, hiring an attorney can help the process go much more smoothly and reduce the chance of costly mistakes.

Required documents

If you plan to apply for adjustment of status after marriage, you'll need to have some specific documents with you. The documents you'll need include proof of your marriage and how you met your spouse. You'll also need proof of health insurance and immunizations. Those are two very important documents to present to the government. Other documents that will help you prove your relationship with your spouse are copies of your last tax return and recent utility bills.

Your marriage and the changes to your life that have brought you to the United States may require you to adjust your status. For example, you might be married to a U.S. citizen or have a spouse who entered the country as a K-1 fiance. In that case, you may qualify for another type of adjustment.

The process of adjusting your status is complex and time-consuming. While it may be easier for some applicants than others, there are some forms and files that you will need to submit. These documents are essential to prove the marital relationship and eligibility of a foreign spouse candidate. If you don't meet these requirements, you may have trouble adjusting your status.

Time Frame to Get Green Card

The time frame to get a Green Card after marriage depends on a few factors. Depending on your situation, it can take between 90 days and one year. Once you have met the requirements, you will need to attend a Green Card interview. This is the final step to becoming a permanent resident in the United States. Processing times can vary based on your state and local USCIS office. For example, in high-volume cities, the wait times can be longer.

The first step to getting a green card after marriage is to file a petition with USCIS. You can track your application online or sign up for their text notification service to receive updates on the status of your application. There are many factors that will determine how long it will take, but an experienced immigration attorney can tell you a timeline for your case.

The average time to get a green card after marriage depends on the country of origin and the application. For example, if you married a U.S. citizen, your application will be processed first, which means it will take a little more time. In general, you can expect to receive your green card anywhere from 10 months to 38 months, depending on your specific situation.

More to Read:

comments powered by Disqus