Legal Guide

Leaving The US After Obtaining A Green Card: Immigration Laws

Many immigrants have gone through the lengthy procedure to get a green card in the United States. For many immigrants, the day they receive their green card is celebrated as a life-changing milestone.
However, there are certain conditions that the US Immigration have in place which warrant the removal of  a     green card holder's permanent residency status . If you just received your green card and are planning to go back to your country any time soon, you should take the time to learn the immigration laws regarding the conditions to meet so that you can keep your green card for life.
Violating the law
If you commit a crime then you may be deported and lose your permanency status. This is the most common way people lose their green cards. It doesn’t even need to be major felonies. Certain violations may cause deportation or removal of permanency such as failing to advise USCIS of a change of address within ten days from transfer.
Unless the crime is a felony, there are no exact details on which offenses can remove your permanency. Should you ever be charged with a crime, be sure to consult with absorption and immigration lawyers as criminal lawyers may not be familiar with naturalization laws on the matter.
Living outside the U.S.
If you leave the US after getting your green card, make sure that you don't intend to make your destination your permanent home if you plan to keep your US residency status. US border officials will observe your travel behavior signals and can tell if you are still living permanently in the US or actually living outside of the US but just want to keep your permanency status and enjoy the benefits that it has to offer. If any of this legal jargon is still confusing for your it may be time to pick up a phone and call a naturalization or immigration attorney near you.
The general rule when leaving the US after getting a green card is that you have to come back to the US every six months to keep your permanent residency status. If you go back after one year, the US government will notice that you are abandoning the US and you may run into trouble reentering the country.
Meanwhile, if you have been outside of the US for a year for a valid reason, then you can keep your green card. However, you have to inform the US immigration of the status of your travel at the start. For example: you have to go back home to take care of your sick mother for a few months but decided to stay longer as her condition worsened.  Reasonably valid reasons like these can be cited to keep your residency. If you feel you need help arguing your case, an immigration lawyer will be a big help.
There may be a few more exceptions such as the commuter exception for those working in Canada or Mexico on a seasonal basis. Bottom line is, if you want to cement your green card status and move freely as well, you need to learn the rules and condition of keeping your green card and US citizenship benefits.
Vernikov NYC Immigration Lawyer 25 Broadway New York, NY 10004 (212) 729-3497

More to Read:

comments powered by Disqus