Being arrested on criminal charges is a scary experience whether you are guilty or innocent. In Surrey, Ontario and the rest of Canada, there is a Charter of Rights and Freedoms in place to protect the rights of people when they arrested or detained by police. In addition to being told why you have been arrested and that you have the right to remain silent, other rights involve being able to speak to and hire a lawyer.
Above all else, if you are arrested, you have a right to speak with an attorney. If you are booked and jailed, having a lawyer representing you in court is the best thing for you. You can get expert advice on how to proceed with your case or hearing and have a better chance of having the charges against you reduced or even dropped. Regardless of the crime with which you have been charged, having a criminal defense lawyer can make all the difference in the world and can spare you both financial and emotional hardship.
An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you in the following ways as well:
- Knowledge of the Law: Criminal law is complex and an attorney knows the laws inside and out and can apply the right type of defense to your case, which can only come to your advantage.
- Knowledge of Procedural Rules: Lawyers know all the criminal procedural rules pertinent to your case and know when and how to file motions and obtain important information that can help your case.
- Conduct an Investigation: An attorney can work with witnesses and experts to investigate the facts of the crime and thoroughly examine the evidence to counter the prosecutor’s argument against you.
- Hire Experts: Criminal defense attorneys can hire expert witnesses who can testify on your behalf during your case.
- Challenge Evidence: Your lawyer can challenge evidence in the event that police failed to follow proper procedure or the law or if a mistake was made that might have tainted DNA or other evidence. This can help greatly, especially if the prosecution is unable to prove that you are guilty, which can lead to the charges against you being reduced or dropped.
- Negotiate a Plea Agreement: Your attorney can negotiate a plea agreement that is fair for you and satisfactory to the prosecution.
These are all the reasons why you need an attorney if you are arrested for a crime. Whether it’s something like a DUI or more serious like an assault, you need the right legal representation for your case.